Written by – Mr AKM
Our son was diagnosed with ASD. The doctors said he will never speak to you ever in your life. That was 10 years ago when he was slightly over 2. Today, he talks, goes to mainstream school, likes to play TT/badminton/piano etc. He has come very far. Though there is lot of distance to go in terms of the language but we’ve hope that he will be able to cover this.
Things we learnt along the way which we would like to share with you. This is our Personal experience as parents, may not correlate with professional advice:
1. It is a marathon and not a sprint
2. Each kid is different. Treatment for one may not work for another.
3. Give sufficient time for any treatment but not more than 6 months – 1 year to see if this is for your child or not
4. Go slow on introducing supplements. Start with one fourth of the dosage prescribed and gradually increasing every 3rd or 4th day to see if there are any side effects.
5. Don’t be overwhelmed with number of supplements. We struggled a lot on this initially. We were not ready for even giving 3-4 supplements but today there are days when he takes 15 different supplements and 30 total doses.
List of Doctors and Clinics
Dr. Shanta Venkat, Mumbai
Dr. Deepak Gupta
He explains less but his prescriptions usually match with renowned practitioners.
Dr. Amit Sen
Dr. Shilpa Rao
Autism specialist and Medical Director Gen Labs
Healthcare Private Limited Bangalore
Dr. Prasad, Ayurveda
Dr. Prasad works on gut primarily. Highly recommended. Treatment includes annual in-house admissions and quarterly reviews
We tried Homeopathic medicine from a doctor in Ludhiana- Won’t recommend this doctor. He wasted 2 of precious years and caused so many regressions.
As a therapy, it is good but not practiced effectively here. This is responsible for many of the issues our son has today e.g. his OCDs, rote learning etc. So be very careful with this.
This caused lot of sensory destabilisation in our son. Won’t recommend it.
Renowned international MAP doctors (usually takes 6 months – 1 year for appointment)
They’re the pioneers of different protocols being followed across the world for different treatment lines e.g. immunity, PANs/PANDAS, genetics, methylation etc.
Dr. Anju Usman Singh – https://www.truehealthmedical.com/the-practice
Dr. Rossignol – https://rossignolmedicalcenter.com/
Dr. Frye – https://www.phoenixchildrens.org/find-a-doctor/richard-e-frye-md-phd
* This article is written by Mr AKM for the sole purpose of helping other parents caring for ASD kids.