FISH BONE STUCK IN THROAT
- DR VIKRAM M. BHARDWAJ
Fish bones stuck in throat are commonly encountered in clinical practice. They are tiny and may have sharp edges/odd shapes that make them more likely than other food to get stuck in the throat.
It generally happens in people who are consuming alcohol, have dentures/ artificial teeth , children. Greater chances while eating whole fish.
Fish bones are generally lodged in the throat but sometimes in food pipe as well.
During or after eating fish, you may feel a foreign body sensation (something stuck in throat), pain throat which may be more on one side,pain radiating to the ear, difficulty in swallowing saliva/ food and rarely breathing difficulty. If it injures the foodpipe, it can cause chest or back pain.
WHAT TO DO?
- Wait and watch – If the symptoms are mild , you can try wait and watch .Many a times the bone passes through but scratches the surface which causes pain and foreign body sensation for sometime (may be a day or two). Using simple local anesthetic syrups like Mucian gel may help.
- Try home remedies like gulping a banana which may carry away the lodged bone. Doing plain water gargles to dislodge the stuck bone . But its always better to get it examined by a specialist
- GO TO NEARBY ENT SPECIALIST – Best is to see a nearby ENT doctor who would do a thorough throat examination using a mirror and may be an endoscope if bone is lodged lower down in throat. Sharp protruding edge of stuck bone can be felt with gloved finger by doctor.
After confirmation of location, it can be removed by two methods
- With metallic forceps – if lying in upper throat , it can be easily held and removed by forceps
- With Endoscope – if lying deeper in throat , a flexible endoscope may be needed.
HERE WE ARE SHOWING VIDEO OF REMOVAL OF A FISH BONE STUCK IN THROAT USING A FLEXIBLE ENDOSCOPE. THE PROCEDURE USUALLY TAKES 5-10 MINUTES.